Monday, September 27, 2004

I don't wanna go to school.

I heard this from both of my boys this morning. David is getting to the point he would rather stay home everyday. Cam usually likes school, but this morning he didn't want to go, and then once we got there he didn't want to get out of the van. It is always hard to leave them when they are like that. I got a note from D's teacher that said he is very unfocused and isn't getting his work done. I have yet to go by his class where there isn't total chaos going on in there, so of course he is unfocused. David needs a structured environment to learn in. You can't have all the distractions or he isn't going to get stuff finished. In my day we went to school we sat in our desks quietly and the teacher taught us. I go to the boys school and look in Davids class. There are 20 kids running around and lots of noise, and she says he is unfocused. I would be unfocused too! What happened to structure? What happened to sit and learn? I am sure that some kids do fine in an unruly, loud, classroom, but I know mine won't. He needs quiet learning time. He goes to the reading teacher now, and he went from not reading at all to reading level 3 books in a 2 week time, she offers structure in her room. It is quiet and he can think about what she is telling him. There are to many distraction in the classroom for him, and I am sure that he isn't the only one. I would be the same way if you put me in a room with 20 kids and all kinds of stuff going on I am not going to finish something I don't find interesting when someone across the room is doing something I would rather be doing. I think there is a time and a place for fun even in the classroom, but there is a time for learning, that is what I send my children to school for, to learn. It is the teachers job to make sure they accomplish this, it is their job to make sure that each child leaves their class with the knowledge they need to move on. So now I have to go in and tell this teacher that it is her fault that he isn't focused. I have to go in and tell her that she and the school district are the ones that are failing, not my child. I find this distressing, I find it distressing that she sends notes saying he is unfocused, and doesn't take the time to get his attention. I know she has 20 kids in her room, but I think that if they put a stop to all the chaos and noise these kids would actually be accomplishing something and learning. I will have to go in and talk to her before I make a judgment call, but if I were a teacher I would see it as a personal failure if one child left my class not understanding everything I was in charge of teaching them. I don't want him to hate school, but I am not sending him there to play games and make noise I am sending him there to learn, and if they can't teach him then I will have to do something else. I don't know what that will be at this point, but I will figure it out.

UPDATE:
Just got a call from D's teacher. She is going to work more with him on a one on one basis and he is going to keep going to his reading class. We will see where he is at the end of this quarter. I don't know what to do with him. She said he is always well behaved and there is never a struggle with him like I have with him, but he is just not caughting on. She did says he works better in a small group or one on one, but I know she can't devote all her attention to him, I don't know what to do for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment