Sunday, May 08, 2005

My Mother's Day

Friday when I picked Cam up from school he was being very sneaky when he approached the van, hiding something behind his back. I, being a good mom and knowing they would be bringing home stuff for mother's day they made at school, didn't question him. When we got home he told me, "Just go on in mom, I'll be there in a minute." And that is what I did. He came in headed out the back door, and about 15 minutes later he came in still hiding something behind his back.

"When is Mother's Day mom?"
"It's Sunday baby."
"Well I can't wait until Sunday." He says as he hands me his little cup of marigolds.
"I planted them myself for your mother's day present!" he says.
I grabbed him up and squeezed him as hard as I could without breaking him.
"Thanks Cam, they are beautiful. I just love you so much!"
"I love you, mom." He squeezed back as hard as he could.

That night David found out that Cam had already given me my mother's day stuff and he throws his backpack at me and says, "I have homework mom, you better look" with a sly little smile.

He gave me a card that was shaped like a tea up and inside there was a little green tea bag. He takes the backpack from me and begins rummaging through it, pulling out a green sheet of construction paper he hands it to me and starts to explain the drawing.

"It's you castle mom, and you're the Queen and I am your shiny Knight just like in our stories." I wanted to bawl at that point. You see ever since he could talk we have had a ritual of telling this story at bed time. I usually start if off
"Once upon a time there was a beautiful castle"
And then the boys start adding stuff to it, but David has always made me the queen of the castle and him and his brothers the shiny knights who save the day. It has even evolved into a game that we often play, where I am the Queen and I have to send them on their quests, sometimes they slay a dragon that has been eating the villagers, sometimes they have to save me from the evil King in the next village, we never know what will happen, but my shiny knights always save the day. I will treasure that card until I die, and it will always remind me how much he loves me!

Colton was sad because he didn't get to give me anything so his brothers got some paper and pens and helped him make me a whole bunch of stuff. He made our house and an Alien and a picture of the dogs. It was just sweet that D and Cam wanted to help him do something for me too. While Cam was helping Colton, David wrote me the sweetest letter I have ever gotten it said:

Der mom well I just wanted to tel you hape muders da love David.

Today Steve took them to the store with him to get his mom something, and they come home with thick juicy rib-eyes steaks and chocolate. So I really got a whole mother's weekend not just one day! Hope everyone else had a wonderful weekend as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment